Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chicken Sausage, Mozzarella, and Spinach with Shells

I never post recipes. I might start posting a few healthy ones. I love to cook when I have the time and I like to cook healthy. Its important in this TTC journey that we eat a balanced diet. Since I have been home for a few days my husband has been wonderful. Last night he made homemade pizza. Tonight I wanted to try something new. I saw this recipe last week on Everyday Food on PBS. The original recipe is called Sausage, Mozzarella, and Broccoli Rabe with Shells. I changed it to make it healthier. I use chicken sausage, spinach instead of the broccoli rabe, just because I don't like broccoli rabe and whole-wheat pasta shells.
I thought I would give you something healthy and easy to make and that tastes incredible. My husband said after we ate, "I like you home!"
Enjoy.



Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
¼ tsp of thyme
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 links Italian chicken sausage,casings removed
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 can (28 ounces) kitchen ready tomatoes
8 ounces medium whole-wheat shell pasta
1 block of frozen spinach, thawed
1-2 cups of reduced fat mozzarella


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown, about 15 minutes (reduce heat if browning too quickly).

2. Add garlic and chicken sausage. Cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce. Cook sauce until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add spinach and stir.

3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta. Drain pasta and return to pot. Stir in sausage mixture. Transfer to a 9 x 12 baking dish. Top with mozzarella. Bake until cheese has melted and liquid is bubbling, about 15 minutes.

No comments: