Thursday, June 14, 2012

We have a new plan

We went to see the RE yesterday and talked about what our next step was.
Our plan is to do the FET (Frozen embryo transfer) cycle next month (July cycle). Which is defrosting the 2 embryos and putting them in my uterus. Its alot easier, no needles, just progesterone and estrogen to thicken the uterine lining. He suggested assisted hatching also. Hopefully my insurance covers that.

What is Assisted hatching?
The most common reason for an IVF cycle to fail to produce a successful pregnancy is because the embryos don’t implant in the uterus. There are many reasons why this might happen, but most likely there is something wrong with the embryo. The embryo could also have difficulty breaking through its outer protein coating, called the zona pellucida, from which it must hatch before it can implant into the uterus. Assisted Hatching (AHA) is a procedure to help an embryo release from the zona pellucida.

Who should consider AHA?
Assisted Hatching has been suggested for infertile couples if:
The women is 38 years or older;
The woman has a high FSH level;
The woman has poor egg quality;
They have had poor embryo quality
They have failed to become pregnant in prior IVF cycles;
They are using frozen-thawed embryos in a Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) cycle
How is it done?
Assisted Hatching is performed by holding the embryo with a special pipette and using either an acidic solution to dissolve a small hole in the zona pellucida or a laser to make a similar small hole. The embryo is then washed and placed back in culture in the incubator for a short time prior to embryo transfer

We have 2 frozen embryos that are grade A and made it to 5 days, which is good. He said we did put the best two in you but these look better than my first IVF and I got Luca so who knows.
I asked if it was anything I did. Like maybe lifted Luca and he said no absolutely not.

He said if this doesn't work he wants to be more aggressive and treat me as if I was a 40 year old. He also would do the PGD testing since I have had 4 losses now. We cant be sure if my septum before caused my previous losses and he wants to also maybe look in my uterus again to make sure there is nothing going on in there, maybe take a biopsy.
He said we will get a baby. My embryos fertilize and look good.

All in all I am pretty happy with the appointment. I am glad he is being aggressive with me and I am happy they want to do the PGD testing. I just think maybe there is more to why I miscarry.

So we wait for next cycle which is July 3rd.

No comments: