Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day



I can't believe there has to be such a day. Our babies should not of been lost. They should all be with their moms and dads. Growing inside of us or babies growing into toddlers.
Life doesn't work that way. Life doesn't always seem to go so smoothly.

October 15th is a day to remember all pregnancies and infants lost in order to heal and be comforted in a time of pain and heartache, and to have hope for the future.

Pregnancy & Infant loss occurs much more often in our country than people might believe. Close to 2000 families are affected by this tragedy each year. Miscarriage occurs in 20 to 30 % of all confirmed pregnancies. 75 to 80 % of miscarriages occur within the first 12 weeks of conception, sometimes so early that a woman may not even know she is pregnant, it is therefore believed that 50 % of all conceptions result in miscarriage. Ectopic pregnancy occurs in 2 to 3 % of all conceptions. Molar pregnancy occurs in 1 out of 1000 pregnancies, 4 of every 1000 births ends with a stillborn baby and almost 1 of every 100 births results in a baby who dies during the first 28 days of life (not including SIDS which occurs 2 per 100) Chances are, we all know someone who has been affected by pregnancy or infant loss.
Stillbirth is one of the most misunderstood "accidents," often viewed as an unfortunate, but minor, nonevent by those outside the family. Not everyone understands the emotional investment parents put into their unborn children, in some cases even before that child is conceived. The hopes, dreams, plans, love and anticipation are real, even if no one has yet seen this child.
Families who suffer this tragedy need sensitive caregivers, understanding friends and supportive family members.
Yes, awareness is important. A supportive environment can make all the difference in how parents incorporate this loss, this precious child, into their lives in a healthy manner.

Why Have an Awareness Month?
Because life, even the tiniest life, is special
Because life, even the tiniest life, must be remembered
Because parents want to remember.

I want to take this time to remember my 3 babies. I will never forget the joy I felt when I found out I was pregnant. A life was growing inside me. I created a life with my husband. What an amazing feeling it was. Sadly, the feeling didn't last. My first miscarriage was at 5 weeks. Our second miscarriage was a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks and the last one was a blighten ovum. To this day I have not forgotten my three blessings. My three miracles I created with my husband. I am a mom, to 3 beautiful angels.


http://www.october15th.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqfGqOx2iDQ

No comments: