Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sleep training- Its actually works!

Who knew!

I got in a very bad habit of rocking and nursing Luca to sleep. Some nights it took a good hour and half to get him to sleep. He would fall asleep in my arms and I would carefully put him down but he would wake up. I had to start all over again. Then when I finally got him down I would tip toe out of his room. Sometimes he woke up and then I had to rock him again. Then in the middle of the night he would cry and I would bring him in bed with me. I would nurse him and just leave him in there. Then he would wake up at 4:30 am because he heard my husband leave for work. It was starting to really take a toll on me. I had to do something.
I started the sleep training. Letting him cry himself to sleep. I tried it before and just couldn't do it. This time I was determined.
The say to do the ritual, bath, book, feed, bed. We do it every night.
So the first night I nursed him, put him down awake and left the room and shut the door. He cried for about an hour. It was heart wrenching but knew I had to do it. I went in every so often to say, "Its ok, its night night time, I love you".
He fell asleep! He woke up in the middle of the night and I did not get him. He fell back to sleep. He woke up at 7am!
Second night, same thing. Nursed him, put him to bed awake and left the room with the door closed. He cried for about 20 minutes. Again he woke up in the middle of the night and I didn't get him. He fell back to sleep and woke up at 7am!
Third night, it took him 5 minutes to fall asleep! Whoo hoo!
I guess this thing really works!
I also used it on his nap today. He cried for about 10 minutes.
We are moving in the right direction.
Here is some information on it.
Good luck and have a good night sleep!

http://www.sleep-baby-sleep.com/ferber-method.htm

No comments: