Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A great recipe

My mom and dad went to a German restaurant on Sunday. Its called the Student Prince Cafe in Springfield, MA.

http://www.studentprince.com/

My mother had this cucumber salad with her meal. She said it tasted exactly how my grandmother used to make it. I went to my parents last night for dinner and she made it. She got the recipe off the restaurants website.

I was taking back in time. My grandmother(my mothers mom) lived right around the corner from us. When I was a little girl I would always go over there everyday. She used to make this cucumber salad all the time. She used to reuse Parkey butter containers and they were in her refrigerator. I remember going over there and opening the fridge and seeing tons of containers with leftovers. I used to have to open each lid searching for this salad. I loved it so much. I used to eat it all the time. We never could duplicate the recipe or how she did it. I don't know why my mom never asked her when she was alive. This recipe is so close to how she did it. Its so yummy and a great side dish.

Cucumber Salad

Serves 6

Ingredients:

3 large cucumbers
4 oz sugar
3 oz cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
Pinch of white pepper
1 ounce Salad oil (use a neutral oil like Wesson, rather than a strong flavored oil like olive oil)
One medium onion diced
1 tablespoon Chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon Chopped fresh dill (If you can’t find fresh dill use all fresh parsley. Don’t use dried herbs)

Directions:

Peel the cucumbers. You may leave half of the peels on. Waxed cucumbers or those that have been stored for a long time should be
peeled. Smaller cucumbers and those recently picked can be used without peeling. A peeled cucumber is easier to digest.

Mix the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the cucumbers, stir the salad a bit. There should be enough dressing to cover the cucumbers. You can add a bit more salt and pepper after you have marinated the cucumbers. The salad will stay good for about three days under refrigeration.

No comments: